This apprenticeship is aimed at those working towards managing teams and/or projects, and achieving operational or departmental goals and objectives, as part of the delivery of the organisation’s strategy. Operations/Departmental Managers are accountable to a more senior manager or business owner. Working in the private, public or third sector and in all sizes of organisation, specific responsibilities and job titles will vary, but the knowledge, skills and behaviours needed will be the same. Key responsibilities may include creating and delivering operational plans, managing projects, leading and managing teams, managing change, financial and resource management, talent management, coaching and mentoring. Roles may include: Operations Manager, Regional Manager, Divisional Manager, Department Manager and Specialist Managers. York College will work with employers and key players in the sector to prepare and equip you to be successful in your career.
Throughout the duration of this apprenticeship you will be developing the skills, knowledge and behaviours required of a senior manager. These will include:
- Operational management principles - including operational planning, contingency planning and continuous improvement
- Business management principles - including business development, business finance, sales and marketing
- Project management - including business change, prioritisation techniques and time, resource and risk management
- Performance management - including achieving targets, delivering objectives and setting KPIs
- Leadership and management techniques - including coaching and mentoring, delegation, decision making, recruitment and problem solving
- Relationship management - including negotiation and networking skills and partner, stakeholder and supplier management
- Communications - including active listening, interpersonal skills, report writing and digital, verbal, non-verbal and written communication skills
End- point assessment
Successful achievement of the end-point assessment will lead to final certification of the apprenticeship. The assessment, with an independent assessor will comprise of:
- Structured Competency Based Interview
- Assessment of portfolio of evidence
- Presentation on Work based Project with Q&A session
- Question and Answer session
- Professional Discussion relating to Continuing Professional Development
Method of delivery
Delivery will be in partnership with employers and adopt a blended approach of on and off the job training and professional development. Apprentices will receive training and mentoring in the workplace and knowledge, skills and behaviour development at York College through classroom and research based activities.
Employers will set their own entry requirements, but it is expected that the individual will be working in an operational role within the industry to start on this apprenticeship standard. There is a requirement to have Maths and English equivalent to GCSE at grade C/4 or Level 2 Functional Skills in English and Maths.
This Apprenticeship will take 2.5years.
On completion, apprentices can register as full members with the Chartered Management Institute and/or the Institute of Leadership & Management, and those with 3 years’ of management experience can apply for Chartered Manager status through the CMI.
- Accounting Apprenticeship Level 2
- Assistant Accountant Apprenticeship Level 3
- Business Admin Apprenticeship Level 3
- Customer Service Practitioner Apprenticeship Level 2
- Customer Service Practitioner Apprenticeship Level 3
- Operations Departmental Manager Apprenticeship Level 5
- Professional Accounts Tax Technician Apprenticeship Level 4
- Team Leader / Supervisor Apprenticeship Level 3
- York College Certificate - Digital Knowhow - Beginners Guide to Digital Marketing