Please see our Entry Requirements page for general entry requirement guidance. You should also have a grade 5 or above in Business (if studied).
What will I study?
Business Studies gives an understanding of the many problems businesses can face and encourages students to develop analytical and evaluative ways to solve them.
Across the two years students will study the following:
What is business?
- Managers, leadership and decision making
- Decision making to improve marketing performance
- Decision making to improve operational performance
- Decision making to improve financial performance
- Decision making to improve human resource performance
- Analysing the strategic position of a business
- Choosing strategic direction
- Strategic methods: how to pursue strategies
- Managing strategic change
Good course combinations
Students studying Business Studies often take A Level Economics, but Business Studies combines well with any subject.
How will I be assessed?
Three compulsory papers covering all of the above content. Each paper counts for 33.3% of the final qualification. Each paper is 2 hours long and carries 100 marks.
Questions: Three compulsory sections
- Section A has 15 multiple choice questions (MCQs) worth 15 marks
- Section B has short answer questions worth 35 marks
- Section C has two essay questions (choice of one from two and one from two) each worth 25 marks
- Three data response compulsory questions worth approximately 33 marks each and made up of three or four part questions
- One compulsory case study followed with approximately six questions
Before the qualification can be awarded, students must undertake all the assessments.
What could it lead to?
You can progress onto a higher level course at York College or university in a number of related areas eg marketing and business.
Need some help?
Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information contained in this webpage, the content is subject to change where necessary.