Science Manufacturing Technician Apprenticeship Level 3
Our Science Manufacturing Apprenticeship Level 3 is aimed at those seeking employment in the science industry as a manufacturing technician. As a Science Manufacturing Technician, you will operate the systems and equipment involved in the production of products.
Many companies operate under highly regulated conditions and the right attitude is needed to maintain high safety requirements.
Employment in a relevant environment for a minimum of 30 hours per week. You must have 5 GCSE’s at grade 4 or above, including Maths, English, and Science. Alternatively, a BTEC Diploma in Applied Science alongside GCSE’s in Maths and English at grade 4 or above.
What will I study?
You will work towards the BTEC Level 3 Diploma in Applied Science which will include:
- Work safely in a laboratory, maintaining excellent housekeeping whilst following appropriate safety, environment and risk management systems.
- Follow quality procedures to meet the requirements of quality standards relevant to the workplace.
- Prepare for laboratory tasks using the appropriate scientific techniques, procedures and methods
- Perform laboratory tasks following specified methodologies, such as Standard Operating Procedures
- Use of specified instrumentation and laboratory equipment, including calibration where required.
- Produce reliable, accurate data and keep accurate records of laboratory work undertaken and results.
- Analyse, interpret and evaluate data and identify results requiring further investigation seeking advice of senior colleagues as appropriate.
- Communicate scientific information appropriately, including the use of Laboratory Information Management systems, either digital or paper based.
- Apply scientific techniques for data presentation. e.g. statistics
- Recognise problems and apply appropriate scientific methods to identify causes and achieve solutions.
- Participate in continuous business performance improvement
Method of Delivery
The apprenticeship will be delivered through a series of progress reviews and observations in the workplace on a 6-8-week basis checking progress against the apprenticeship. Apprentices will have a day release to attend College to study the BTEC qualification.
For the BTEC Level 3 Diploma in Applied Science, there will be opportunities to learn about the fundamentals of science, working in the science industry, develop various mathematical and scientific techniques, and conduct a scientific investigation.
The Apprenticeship and BTEC delivery involve a blended learning method, using classroom discussion and our virtual learning environment to enhance learning.
How will I be assessed?
There are four parts to End-Point Assessment (EPA).
- Throughout the apprenticeship, the behaviour of the apprentice will be reviewed against the Apprenticeship and the final assessment will be graded in a Behaviour Evaluation Log (BEL).
- The Synoptic Assessment Test (SAT) is an observation in the workplace of the ability of the apprentice to either start up, operate or shut down a process.
- The Vocational Competence Discussion (VCD) covers the whole Apprenticeship and is an opportunity to present evidence to support elements of the standard that were not possible to demonstrate in the SAT.
- The Scenario Case Study (SCS) will describe a scenario where the apprentice has to apply their understanding of the principles of working safely, quality and standard procedures and complying with regulations to an unfamiliar situation.
There are no specific College programme related costs, however you will be advised of any additional costs during your application and enrolment process.
- BTEC Diploma in Applied Science Level 3
- Science Manufacturing Technician Apprenticeship Level 3
Good course combinations
It is not possible to combine this course with other Vocational, T Level or A Level programmes.
Your next steps
Ideally, once you have completed your apprenticeship you will have a job with your employer. From there, you can also look at higher levels of apprenticeships in the engineering field such as the Science Industry Process/Plant Engineer Apprenticeship.
To find out more about how to become an apprentice or how to recruit an apprentice into your business, please contact York College Business Partnerships Team:
Tel: 01904 770368