Introduction to Health & Social Care Certificate Level 1
The Introduction to Health & Social Care Certificate Level 1 will develop your knowledge and awareness of the types of provision in health and social care. It includes the roles played by workers, from principles and values through to health and safety and working with others. There is the option to take units in more specialised areas such as learning disability, sensory loss or mental health.
3 or 4 GCSE subjects at grade 2, ideally including English and Maths.
What will I study?
• is aimed at students who wish to develop an understanding of these settings before deciding whether working in the sector is for them
• allows you to gain the knowledge, understanding and skills required for employment and/or career progression in the sectors
• allows you to tailor your learning to your interests through the provision of a broad range of optional units
• provides opportunities for the development of transferable skills
• supports progression to Level 2 qualifications in health, social care or children's settings
• provides you with the opportunity to progress to employment, in due course, in a range of job roles in the care sectors.
This course is aimed at those considering a career in health and/or social care with adults or children and young people.
There is an optional cost to purchase the course textbook.
Method of delivery
You are likely to be in College over three full days per week. Your studies will be mainly classroom based but you will also experience practical sessions in our simulation care unit.
Your studies will be face to face on site, with 90% classroom based and 10% undertaking simulated practical activities.
How will I be assessed?
The qualification will be assessed by your tutor or assessor using a range of methods. This could include tasks such as designing charts or leaflets, coursework or methods such as oral questioning.
Good course combinations
This is a full-time course. It is not possible to combine this course with other Vocational, Apprenticeship or A Level programmes.
Your next steps
On completion you may progress into employment within the health and social care sector or progress to a related Level 2 course, for which a Pass profile is required.