York College

Find out more about Higher Education funding here.

If you are studying a Higher Education (degree-level) course, you may be eligible for student finance. This can include:

  • Tuition Fee Loan: This covers your course costs and is transferred directly from Student Finance England to York College. This is not income-assessed.
  • Maintenance Loan: This is additional funding that is provided to cover things like accommodation, travel costs and other living costs. There is a base level of Maintenance Loan that is not income-assessed, but you may also be eligible for a higher level of Maintenance Loan, depending on your parents’ or partner’s income. You can use the Government Student Finance Calculator to estimate how much Maintenance Loan you could receive, based on your household income.
  • Special support element of Maintenance Loan: if you are a lone parent or a disabled student, you may qualify for additional funding.
  • Disabled Students’ Allowance: If you have a disability, mental health condition or specific learning difficulties, and applying for a degree programme, you can apply for a Disabled Students' Allowance to help with the extra costs you have. This usually takes the form of support or aids rather than direct funding, but none of this has to be repaid.
  • You may also be eligible for additional grants if you have children or other adults who are dependent on you. These can include Childcare Grant, Parents’ Learning Allowance, and Adult Dependants’ Grant, depending on your circumstances. Any funding you have received through any of these three grants does not have to be repaid.

To apply for student finance, and for more information, visit https://www.gov.uk/student-finance.

Tuition Fees and Charges Policy

You can find our Tuition Fees and Charges Policy here.


When you complete or leave your course, your Tuition Fee Loan and Maintenance Loan (if you take either or both of them out) become your “student loan". You start making repayments when you begin earning over £27,295, and 9% of any income over £27,295 is deducted to pay back your loan. Unless you are self-employed, this is done automatically by your employer. There is interest charged on your loan during and after your studies, but if there is a balance remaining on your loan 30 years after you graduate, this will be written off.


You are normally only eligible for student finance for your first undergraduate degree, although there are exceptions to this. If you have any questions about how previous study will affect your eligibility for student finance, please email the Funding Team at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

If you have left a previous Higher Education course partway through, you may be able for student finance for some or all of another Higher Education course, but this depends on how much of the previous course you completed, and why you left your studies.


Whether you are eligible for student finance also depends on your residency status, and how long you have lived in the UK. If you are not a UK national, or have not lived in the UK for the past three years, please email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. for more information.

You can also see if you are eligible for student finance online.

HE Bursary

If you have qualified for the maximum level of Maintenance Loan, you should also be eligible for a HE Bursary payment from the college. This totals £600 over the year; it is not part of your “student loan” and does not have to be repaid. You will be automatically assessed for this if you have applied for the higher rate of Maintenance Loan.

HE Hardship

The HE Hardship Fund provides additional emergency funding on a case-by-case basis. Support is prioritised to students who are having issues with their student loans. To apply for HE Hardship funding, make an appointment at the InfoZone to see the Funding Team.


Some students are eligible for benefits throughout their studies, though for some benefits, the amount you receive will be affected by at least some of your student income. Please contact Citizen’s Advice if you are not sure of your entitlement.

If you are in receipt of, or will be applying for, universal credit, we recommend that you contact Student Finance England and request a breakdown of your student finance award for benefit purposes to send to the DWP and check your payments thoroughly to ensure that they are correct.

Funding for the 2019/20 academic year has been confirmed even if there is a no-deal Brexit –if you have any questions, email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

You can find student finance application details and more information here.


Need Help?