Award Crest
York College

Updated 25th May 2017

For York College students: either print and complete a Referral Form for support or come to the InfoZone. If emergency accommodation is required that night you should see an Intensive Personal Adviser as soon as possible during the working day.

Information Leaflets

Intensive Personal Advisers Leaflet

Income Support Leaflet

Housing Benefit Leaflet

Under 18 Housing Leaflet

Over 18 Housing Leaflet

Local Councils Housing Depts Leaflet

Useful Local Council websites for housing advice or if you are homeless (or are threatened with homelessness) if you live in:-

   City of York  Council
   Craven District Council
   Harrogate Borough Council
   Hambleton District Council
   Leeds City Council
   North Yorkshire County Council
   Richmondshire District Council
   Ryedale District Council
   Scarborough Borough Council
   Selby District Council

Council Tax Benefit - It is unlikely that you will pay Council Tax as a full time student but you may have to apply for an exemption form. Seek advice from the college InfoZone or go to the link Council tax exemption information for City of York residents

Money for living costs - Income support may help you pay for living costs if you are not being supported by your parents/guardians. For funding from College - go to the InfoZone to make an appointment to see the Funding and Welfare advisor.

Paying your rent and bills

Paying your rent & bills - Renting a flat can be expensive, especially in York. Most students look at sharing a house which can be more economical as bills are shared out amongst all the housemates. It is important to check first that you can afford to pay your rent and living expenses. Sometimes rent includes bills, If not, remember that you will have to budget for paying for gas, electric, water, TV Licence & phone bills from your part-time job or income support. If you are in shared accommodation, the responsibility for paying bills can often be stressful if housemates do not pay their share. Find out here what to do if there are problems in shared accommodation

You will have to pay a deposit or “bond” for most rental properties. This is usually the equivalent of one month’s rent and is paid back to you when you leave (providing there is no damage or outstanding rent payments due). Find out if your local council runs a “Bond Guarantee Scheme” , which is a written bond for Landlords instead of cash.

Rent is usually paid monthly. If you are a student in further education and on a low income you may be able to get Housing Benefit.

Some Letting Agencies only offer accommodation to over 18s, however if you are under 18 it may still be possible if you can provide a financial guarantor, i.e. someone who agrees to cover your costs if you are in financial difficulty.

Make sure where possible that you have a tenancy agreement. This specifies your rights as a tenant. It is better to have a written tenancy agreement than a verbal one in case of any disputes with your landlord.

If you do not pay your rent you run the risk of being evicted from the accommodation. Landlords are within their rights to do this but must follow a procedure. Obtain advice from your local Citizen Advice Bureau or Housing Options Team at your local council identified above.