York College

News Banner 1

News Banner 2

4th  April 2019

Musical Theatre students at York College will perform their end of year production; ‘The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee’ in the Alan Ayckbourn Theatre next week. The performance marks the students’ finale to their Extended Diploma in Musical Theatre course which has developed their singing, dancing and acting skills over the last two years.

Spelling BeeWEB

The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee, winner of 2 Tony Awards, is a musical comedy by William Finn. The show parody’s a fictional American spelling bee, with an array of catchy musical numbers. 

Meg Watson, formerly of Holy Family Carlton High School, plays Logan Schwarz and Grubinerre (a speller). She says: “I didn’t know of the show before we started rehearsing, and it’s really fun. I enjoy the performance challenge of portraying kids (aged 11- 14) in a mix of songs, and there’s plenty of opportunity for dancing and acting. As our course comes to a close, I realise that it has got me to where I want to be – auditioning at the top London drama schools. I’m grateful to my tutors who have helped me with audition preparation, and I’m waiting to hear if I have been successful. I was particularly impressed that ALRA actually came to York College to hold their own auditions. If I have a choice, I would like to continue my studies at Rose Bruford College of Theatre and Performance.”

Final year Backstage Arts students have worked behind the scenes on ‘The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee’ production, see them paining the stage in this time lapse video:

Ben Jefferson, formerly of Huntington School, says: “I have enjoyed working on this show, it’s a great energetic ensemble piece, involving the whole group. After two years working together, this is our last performance and it’s a good one to go out on. I’ve learnt so much about singing, dancing and acting, on this course, as well as lot of other things such as team work, time management and leadership. The course has helped me to decide what I want to do in the future and that my many of my skills are transferable. I want to be a primary school teacher- I have a place Leeds Trinity University to start my teaching career. I am excited to be moving on.”

Related Link

Performing and Production Arts (Musical Theatre) Extended Diploma Level 3

Current Term's News

Links

Need Help?