Award Crest
York College

News Banner 1

News Banner 2

13th February 2019

Final year Creative Media Production students at York College have worked with local businesses and organisations to complete real-life client projects, producing promotional and corporate materials to promote their products and services.

Sam1 WEB

Utilising film making and production skills learnt on the Extended Diploma Level 3 Creative Media & Production Technology course, the students have completed around fifty projects across a range of creative mediums; video, print, social media and marketing campaigns, representing organisations such as the National Trust, Shopmobility York, the RAF and Yorkshire Wildlife Trust.

Student Sam Schoettner spent six weeks filming in the countryside at Rievaulx Terrace for the National Trust. His brief was to make a short video about the visiting the 18th century landscape gardens. He explains “I concentrated on the physical experience of visiting the place, rather than attraction itself. My research involved talking to staff, volunteers and visitors to understand their personal experience of Rievaulx Terrace, which gave me a different take on the attraction. I worked hard on the filming and production and I’m very pleased the National Trust really liked the final result - they have even asked me to do some more work for them later in the year. Their positive response has boosted my confidence and reassured me that I went about the project in the right way. At College I am shown how to make and produce films and my tutors encourage me to put in extra time and effort, saying that it makes all the difference – and I can see that is so true. On completion of my course I want to study Filmmaking at the University of the West of England, Bristol, and I feel capable and excited to progress my studies.”

Sam 2 WEB

A group of students created print and video materials for Yorkshire Wildlife Trust, including three short animations by student Clara Johnson. The brief was to assist the Trust in their campaign to bring about an improved environment act, to protect current wild spaces and create new ones to increase wildlife numbers and more space for wildlife. The aim of their campaign is get people contacting their MP, asking them to work towards the strongest possible environmental laws, which will work for wildlife. Clara was asked to find out what wildlife means to people and their experiences, or lack of experiences, and to encourage people to send their own written or video messages to their MP.

Clara (formerly of Fulford School) explains: “I interviewed people of all ages and backgrounds and asked them to share their experiences and to describe what wildlife means to them. I took the best responses and used them in three short animations. It was an interesting project and I enjoyed working on it. Until I started this course I didn’t realise what animation actually was, I knew I liked it but I wasn’t aware that you can study courses it in. I hope to study animation at Norwich University next year, and ultimately work on animation for entertainment, rather than advertising.”

Clea Grady, Communications and Marketing Manager at Yorkshire Wildlife Trust is delighted that students from York College have been inspired to create graphics, videos and animation in support of our Wilder Future, Wilder Yorkshire campaign.  She says: "Each generation is beginning to expect less and less from our natural world - for they are seeing less and less and accepting that as normal. Many of today’s teenagers have never seen a hedgehog, for example, except on the screen of their phones. Engaging and motivating young people to stand up for wildlife is more vital than ever before, so this project work couldn’t be more appreciated or more apt. A strong new Environment Act can help to reverse the trend of missing wildlife, set out a plan for nature's recovery and create a healthier natural world for future generations. Thank you from everyone at Yorkshire Wildlife Trust for getting involved!”

Media tutor Scott Langford says “This work is fundamental to the students’ development, not only as professional practitioners within their medium, but also as independent, proactive individuals. Students are encouraged to seek out clients and to collaborate on creative solutions to meet their needs, producing high quality promos to reflect the style, ethos and unique selling points. The results have been well received and the College is very grateful for the opportunities local businesses/organisations have provided the students. The majority of our Creative Media students are aiming for progression to university or employment in the sector and this client work is a good test of their career aspirations.”

Related Link

Creative Media Production Extended Diploma Level 3

Current Term's News

Need Help?