Award Crest
York College

News Banner 1

News Banner 2

7th February 2019

A Level Chemistry students at York College had the chance to learn about spectroscopy.  They took part in a ‘Spectroscopy in a Suitcase’ workshop provided by the Royal Society Chemistry and delivered by Dr Peter Hoare, a STEM outreach officer from the science faculty of Newcastle University.

SpectroscopyWEB

Working in one of the College’s chemistry laboratories, students gained hands-on experience learning the principles of spectroscopic techniques, a core component of current A Level chemistry specifications using real-life contexts to demonstrate the applications of the techniques.

Students Harriet Podmore (formerly of Malton School) and Shreya Bondill (formerly of Millthorpe) were pleased to get practical experience in the workshop. Harriet hopes to study medicine at university and says: “The College’s links with the wider universities brings so much more to my studies, I don’t think I would have had this opportunity at a school.” Shreya, who intends studying chemistry at university is aiming for a career in pharmaceuticals, she agrees: “The workshop helped me to put my studies in perspective and understand their uses in the real world.”

Dr Jane Morrell, Chemistry tutor at York College said: “Many of our students progress their studies at universities around the country, with a view to ultimately having a career in Science. The workshop highlighted the key chemical knowledge required by the students for their upcoming A Level examinations and allowed them to experience using portable, research level, state of the art equipment (hence the suitcase!) which they would otherwise only see in a university facility. This workshop enhanced their learning experience and gave them an opportunity to think more about the part they can play in the future of the chemical sciences.”

Related Link

Science

AS and A Level Chemistry

Science

Current Term's News

Need Help?