Award Crest
York College

News Banner 1

News Banner 2

31st January 2019

York College is delighted to announce that four students have received offers to study at either Oxford or Cambridge University this year.

BEST Oxbridge candidates 2019WEB

As the region’s largest A Level provider, with an A Level pass rate of 99.9% and almost 60% of students achieving high grades (A*- B) in 2018, the College has this year submitted UCAS applications on behalf of approximately eight hundred students studying a range of A Level, Vocational, Access and Foundation Degree courses. Out of this significant number of students, three A Level students and a Vocational student have excelled and secured conditional Oxbridge places:

Bethan Woodall (formerly of Millthorpe School) to study Fine Art at Ruskin and St Catherine’s College, Oxford.  At York College Bethan is studying the Extended Diploma Level 3 in Art & Design. Bethan says: "I chose Art because I  can't see myself doing anything else and my overall experience at College has been very positive - the art studios are like a second home. I can’t really say what the future holds as I don’t know what I’ll be doing. However, I do know that between now and then I would like to do some soul searching and explore my options."

Bethan WoodallWEB

Luna Harran (formerly of Millthorpe School) to study Maths at Churchill College, Cambridge. At York College Luna is studying A Levels in Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Computer Science. Luna says: "I’d always thought about applying to Oxbridge and the actual application process was very straightforward. Studying at York College has given me the opportunity to study subjects even further, and I’ve really enjoyed my experience here. When making decisions in the application process, I tried not to think about it too much, which made everything less complicated and stressful."

Luna Harranweb

Holly Mawdsley (formerly of Scalby School) to study Classics at Peterhouse, Cambridge.  At York College Holly is studying A Levels in Ancient History, Physics, Maths, Further Maths and an Extended Project Qualification.  Holly says: "Applying to Cambridge, with so much to do, certainly seemed daunting at first. However, I received great advice from my tutor and from the Admissions at Peterhouse, which helped to relieve the pressure. My advice for applications to universities is to be absolutely certain you will enjoy the subject you apply for, as well as read more about the subject outside of lessons. If the subject requires an interview, the best thing to do is simply try and enjoy the experience!"

Holly MawdsleyWEB

Ellie Speight (formerly of Ryedale School) to study History at Murray Edwards College, Cambridge. At York College Ellie is studying A Levels in Ancient History, Modern History and English Literature.  She says: "I had never thought about university in depth. No one in my family has ever been and it wasn’t an option I’d fully considered. However, at College I have found the atmosphere and my tutors to be very encouraging and I felt fully supported, confident and informed when I made my decision to apply. I’m very surprised and grateful for my offer but I know I couldn’t have done it without all the help and encouragement I received at College. I am hoping to get the grades I need to take up my place at Cambridge and find a career where my passion for history will be incorporated."

Ellie SpeightWEB

Miggy Biller, Co-ordinator of Oxbridge applications at York College, says: “I congratulate these students on their conditional offers at the country’s most prestigious universities. The junior university ethos within the A Level Faculty at York College enables students to prepare for university life and the pressures of high-level study. We wish all our students success in their examinations this summer as we support them in the final stages of their studies.”

York College is holding an ‘Aiming High’ event on Tuesday 9th April for prospective students and their parents to find out more about applying for Oxford, Cambridge, or other highly competitive university destinations. There is no need to book, simply turn up at 6.30pm for a 7.00pm start.

Related Link

A Level Faculty

Art & Design Extended Diploma Level 3

Current Term's News

Need Help?