Award Crest
York College

News Banner 1

News Banner 2

News Banner 3

5th December 2017

Final year Musical Theatre students are entertaining primary school children and local children’s groups in the lead up to Christmas, performing two newly-devised children’s theatre shows; ‘Wicked Emotions’ and ‘Help! Someone Stole the Princess’, in the College’s Alan Ayckbourn Theatre.

Finn East in Help Who Stole the PrincessWEB

The first of the performances, ‘Wicked Emotions’, sees fun-loving Poppy trying to win the love of her best friend, Flynn. Unfortunately, she makes a big mistake getting Witches; Sadness, Spite and Jealousy involved, putting Princess Willow in great danger. Audiences can’t help but get involved in the race against time to stop the Witches before something terrible happens!

wicked emotions1WEB

Princess Willow, played by Musical Theatre student Elisha Thomas (formerly of Ridgewood School in Doncaster) says: “This is the first time I have helped to devise a performance and it’s been a challenging process. We have tried to engage as much as possible with a young audience and create big characters so they are easy for children to identify with. This course has a great reputation for getting students into top drama schools, and I am hoping I will be successful when I start applying this coming year.”

Wicked EmotionsWEB

Staying with the Princess theme, the second half of the bill; ‘Help! Who Stole the Princess’ is set at a pre-wedding party, where Princess Jess, with her beautiful necklace, are stolen. The hilarious pantomime dame Hinkey McHumperdink, Dan the Butler, Prince Simon, Beatrice and Zippy then go on an adventure to save them.

Student Finn East (formerly of Woldgate College) plays the garishly-funny Hinkey McHumperdink. He says: “I’m very relaxed about playing the pantomime dame and I’m enjoying wearing the costume (which is very heavy). I’ve created a very feminine and over-the-top character which the audience will hopefully find really funny. It’s strange because I wasn’t a great pantomime fan before now, but performing in a panto is quite different  - I’m really enjoying it. I think roles like this are great to have on my CV.”

Tickets are still available for the following performances: Wednesday 6th (10.00am, 1.00pm and 7.00pm), and Thursday 7th December (1.00pm and 7.00pm), priced £4.00 (adults) and £2.00 (children) from the York College Finance Office, tel: 01904 770495.

Related Link

Creative and Performing Arts (Musical Theatre) Extended Diploma Level 3

Performing and Production Arts (Backstage Arts) Extended Diploma Level 3

Current Term's News