Award Crest
York College

News Banner 1

News Banner 2

News Banner 3

5th March 2018

Congratulations to York College stonemasonry tutor, Paul Hill, who has been presented with the prestigious Worshipful Company of Masons’ Master Craftsman Certificate.

mayor of londonWEB

Paul was one of six recipients selected to attend a special ceremony at The Glaziers’ Hal in London to receive the coveted Award from the Lord Mayor of London, Alderman Charles Bowman.

Paul Hill - Worshipful Company AwardWEB

Paul’s long and interesting career as a stonemason has seen him take on a variety of tasks ranging from digging foundations in Africa (where snakes would fall into the trenches), carving a coat of arms at the Royal Opera House and helping to repair The Princess Diana memorial.

For the last 18 years Paul has taught stonemasonry at York College. He says: "Passing on craft skills to future masons is both challenging and rewarding. I'd like to pay tribute to many people who  have inspired and supported me along my journey. Receiving the Master Craftsman Certificate is a great honour and one which I could never have realised without their help.”

The Master Certificate Scheme is designed to encourage career progression in areas of skills identified with the City of London Livery Companies and is run by the Livery Companies Skills Council.

group shot masonsWEB

The Masons’ Company, who nominated Paul for the award, was founded in 1220 and received its Grant of Arms in 1472 – one of the oldest City of London Livery Companies. The Mason’s Company supports students in the craft of stonemasonry and apprentices at major Cathedrals across England.

Related Link

Stonemasonry Diploma Level 2

Stonemasonry Apprenticeship Level 2 and 3

Current Term's News