Award Crest
York College

News Banner 1

News Banner 2

News Banner 3

22nd March 2017

For the first time in the College’s history, York College/i2i Football Development Centre is through to the National Finals of both the English Colleges Football Association (ECFA) and English Schools’ Football Association (ESFA).

Team Photo WEB

In monsoon-like conditions, the York College/i2i Men’s first team came through their ECFA Premier Cup Semi-Final victorious. York College/i2i dug deep to secure a 1-0 victory against a very strong and competitive Thomas Rotherham College. 

Right from kick-off York College/i2i made their intentions very clear starting the game at an eclectic pace controlling both the tempo and direction of play and restricting the visitors to a number of half chances. After half time, York College/i2i again started on the front foot and it wasn’t long before they took the lead with Sean Hunter (previously of King James School) coolly finishing a great pass from Tom Hullock (previously of Tadcaster Grammar School). Despite fierce attempts by Thomas Rotherham College to equalise, York College/i2i managed to weather the storm and secure their second final of the year.

Team WEB

Sports Development Centre Coordinator, Gaz Lee said: “The Men’s Football Development Centre has been outstanding this year and the first team making two National Finals is really the icing on the cake. This is a fitting reward for all of the lads involved in both squads and the very least that the dedicated coaching team deserve. The work of i2i head coaches, whose attention to detail, preparation and unwavering desire to make this College programme one of the best in the country, is phenomenal. The whole College is looking forward to seeing what the team produce in their upcoming games, I have no doubt that the boys will be ready to do their best.”

The students now head to Doncaster Rover’s Keepmoat Stadium on 29th March 2017 for the ESFA final where they will face a team from Farnborough Sixth Form. Following this, the team will also be battling Gower College Swansea for the title of ECFA champions on 3rd May 2017. We wish the boys the best of luck in the ESFA and ECFA cup finals!

Related Link:

Sports Development Centre

Current Term's News