Award Crest
York College

News Banner 1

News Banner 2

News Banner 3

28th February 2017

Thirty A Level Film Studies students have returned from a trip of a lifetime, having spent the week before February half-term in Hollywood experiencing mind-blowing backlot tours in the heart of the US film industry.

Hollywood 2017 trip 2 WEB

Their trip took in Sony Pictures International where students went on the first of their VIP backlot tours. Marvelling at the daily workings of the studios, their visit included the sound stages, Foley recording area, the Barbara Streisand musical sound stage and Goldberg's set. Next stop was Paramount Studios, with another VIP backlot tour of sound stages and New York City facades, and then to Universal Studios Theme Park, where students loved the rides and more backlot tours. Last, but definitely not least, was the Warner Brothers backlot tour, including the Harry Potter Museum, city facades from the 1930's original gangster films, the Batman movie Vehicle collection and the story of film at the Script to Screen Museum.

Hollywood 2017 trip 1WEB

York College Film Studies students have been visiting Hollywood for the last ten years, staying at the same hotel in the centre of Studio City, previously a major restaurant and hotel from the Golden Age of Hollywood and used by Humphrey Bogart, John Wayne, Lauren Bacall. The hotel is now used as a location for many films and TV shows including Desperate Housewives, Modern Family, Bad Words and Crossroads.

Film Studies student Jake Bristow (formerly of Goole High School) said: “The trip has encouraged my A Level studies and inspired me to work in the film industry.”

Feeling totally star struck, students strolled along Hollywood Boulevard and the Walk of Fame, coming face to face with Hollywood actors Tracy Morgan and Adam Sandler. Whereas on previous trips students have met James Corden, Brad Pitt, Pew Die Pie, Will Smith, Peter Stormare, Tim Burton and Sam Raimi.

Student Holly Payne (formerly of Woldgate College) said: “I waited so long for this trip and I loved every moment of it.” 

Film Studies Programme Leader Neil K Smith said: “I have been running this fabulous trip for the last ten years and each year I see A Level Film Studies students living the dream.  They see exactly how blockbuster movies are made and gain the most incredible insight into the world of Hollywood.”

Related Link:

Film Studies AS and A Level

Current Term's News