Award Crest
York College

News Banner 1

News Banner 2

News Banner 3

18th August 2016

A former York College student has been shortlisted in a national radio script writing competition. Richard Burn, 19, is one of five finalists in Creating Waves 2016, a competition to write a radio ad on the subject of National Accident Helpline's Accident Awareness Week.

Richard BurnWEB

Richard left York College in 2015 having studied the Level 3 Extended Diploma in Creative Media, progressing to the University of Lincoln to study creative advertising. Richard says: "I entered the competition as I wanted to push myself and produce a piece of work I wouldn't have produced otherwise. Believing in yourself and trying new things is incredibly important. I have a passion for creative advertising - it was a perfect fit."

The Competition winner will gain a work placement with Global, the media & entertainment group which is home to some of the UK’s best loved radio brands including Heart, Capital, Capital XTRA, Classic FM, Smooth, LBC, Radio X and Gold. They will also have their script made into a real life ad with professional voice actors.

Simon Forster, Regional Creative Director at Global, is one of the judges for Creating Waves. He said that Richard's script was chosen as a finalist because it was: "contextual, easy to understand, not tight on copy or over-length, and with a clear call to action and a clear target audience."

Richard said of the feedback: "Being told your first ‘real’ piece of copy work is clear and contextual is an amazing feeling and incredibly useful. This opportunity has been beneficial in so many ways”

As a finalist, Richard will be able to tour Global's famous studios in London's Leicester Square and rub shoulders with top presenters like Chris Moyles, Emma Bunton, Jamie Theakston, Lisa Snowdon and Vernon Kay.

Related Link

Creative Media Production Extended Diploma Level 3

Current Term's News