Award Crest
York College

News Banner 1

News Banner 2

8th August 2016

Congratulations to York College students Kerry Humble and Diana Kauke who have been successful in gaining Helena Kennedy Foundation Awards to help them progress to study higher education courses in September. York College tutors nominated Kerry and Diana for the bursaries, having been impressed by their work ethic and drive to succeed in very different fields.

Helena Kennedy Foundation Awards 2016

Kerry, aged 27, has studied the Extended Diploma in Electronic and Electrical Engineering, securing a place at UCL (University College London) to study the subject at degree level.  On hearing she had been given the Helena Kennedy Foundation Award she said: "I was shocked and surprised to get it.  The bursary will alleviate the financial pressure of going to university, it will help me so much with my accommodation costs.  I am very grateful to the College for nominating me for the Award."

Whereas Diana, aged 19 and originally from Latvia, has spent the last three years studying A Levels at York College.  Her ambition was always to study a degree in Law and she hopes to progress to the University of York in September.

The Helena Kennedy Foundation exists to overcome social injustice by providing financial bursaries, mentoring and support to disadvantaged students from the further and adult education sectors, enabling them to complete their studies in higher education and move on successfully into employment or further studies.

Jules Dymond, Student Advisor in Welfare and Funding at York College comments: “Kerry and Diana are very deserving students who have overcome significant barriers whilst studying at the College. The Helena Kennedy Foundation bursaries provide more than financial help, the Foundation will open up a network of support including mentors who will guide them through their higher education studies and future careers.”

Current Term's News