Award Crest
York College

News Banner 1

News Banner 2

2nd August 2016

It’s been a summer of opportunities for two York College footballing students Matthew Parker and Josh Waddingham. Matthew, a former York City FC apprentice and Josh, studying an Extended Diploma in Sport, have both worked hard to earn high profile chances to develop their sporting skills and future careers.

Matty Parker YTPWEB

Following on from his apprenticeship with York City FC, York College student Matthew Parker is now heading to the USA to take up a prestigious football scholarship at St. Edward’s University in Texas. He will combine his studies with games for the Hilltopper soccer team over the next four years. Says Matthew: “I chose to study in the USA as it gives me an opportunity to earn a degree, play football every day to a good standard, and explore a different part of the world.”

Josh Waddingham - SportWEB

Closer to home, York College Football Development Centre player Josh Waddingham, formerly of Easingwold School, has again been named Young Volunteer of the Year for North Riding County FA in the FA Community awards 2016 (an award he previously won in 2014). In July he also gained a place on the four-day Young Leader Development Programme for 16 – 24 year olds at the National Football Futures Academy at St Georges Park. It was a great opportunity for Josh to gain the skills to make a real difference in his local County FA through a Youth Forum - Grassroots football. And there’s more … he is now preparing for the National Sports Games at Loughborough University at the beginning of September, where he will work on the Athletics, Fencing and Volleyball events.

Says Head of Division for Sport, Mark Smith: “I am delighted for both Matthew and Josh, their studies at York College, in addition to their individual drive and ambition, has put them in a great position to be able to map out their future careers in sport.”

Related Links

Sport (Development, Coaching and Fitness) Extended Diploma Level 3

Current Term's News