Award Crest
York College

News Banner 1

News Banner 2

News Banner 3

1st August 2016

York College is delighted for Foundation Diploma in Art and Design alumna Sophie Mackfall, formerly of All Saints RC School, who has been announced as one of the artists selected for this year’s prestigious Bloomberg New Contemporaries exhibition.

Sophie WEB2

Dating back to 1949 New Contemporaries is one of the most important exhibitions for highlighting new and emerging artists in Britain, providing a platform for recent graduates with an annual touring exhibition. New Contemporaries is now in its seventh decade and artists previously selected include David Hockney (1960), Anish Kapoor (1977), Antony Gormley (1978), Peter Doig (1982) and Damien Hirst (1989), Helen Chadwick (1977) and Gillian Wearing (1993).

2015SophieWEB

After completing the Art Foundation Diploma at York College, Sophie studied BA (Hons) Fine Art Painting & Printmaking at Glasgow School of Art and she has recently completed an MA in Painting at The Royal College of Art, London.  She says of her time studying on the Foundation Diploma at York College: '"The Foundation course gave me a sense of what art school might be like and the space to think through what creative direction I wanted to take. These decisions can feel daunting, but the tutors challenged me and showed me the many routes I could take, they then supported me to build my portfolio once I had made my decision to apply to Glasgow School of Art."

Mackfall Sophie PortraitWEB

Steve Hemingway, Fine Art tutor at York College says: "It is excellent news that one of our former students has been chosen for this prestigious exhibition and a great achievement for Sophie. What Sophie has achieved since completing the Foundation Diploma is tremendous and just the sort of path we hope our Fine Art students take. We are also delighted that Sophie has agreed to come into the College during the next academic year to give a talk to our students about her career as a practicing artist."

The New Contemporaries exhibition is currently on in Liverpool at Bluecoat 9th July – 16th October 2016 as part of the Liverpool Biennial 2016, before touring to the Institute of Contemporary Arts (ICA) in London from 23rd November 2016.

Related Link

Art & Design Foundation Diploma Post Level 3

Current Term's News