Award Crest
York College

News Banner 1

News Banner 2

8th June 2016

Congratulations to York College CITB stonemasonry apprentice Tom Cloake on his victory at the 2016 UK Masonry Skills Challenge. Having won first place in the northern heat at Edinburgh College, when the Southern heat scores were combined Tom finished second in the competition, with York College being named third overall winner. This means Tom will be selected to compete in the SkillBuild final at the NEC in Birmingham later in the year.

Tom Cloake UK Masonry Skills winnerWEB

Tom, aged 22, is employed by Mather & Ellis, Trafford Park, Manchester. For him winning the competition is the icing on the cake as he completes his Level 3 banker stonemasonry qualification at York College. He says: “I have competed in the UK Masonry Skills Challenge before and wanted to win - this time I felt confident in my own ability to really go for it. Attending College has been a good educational break from work and I’ll miss travelling to York and working with my tutors. I hope winning the competition will put me in a good position with my future employers. In the meantime I will continue training in preparation for the SkillBuild competition, which could lead to selection for WorldSkills!”

Tom has won a cash prize from the Stone Federation and Paul Hill, stonemasonry tutor at York College, comments: “Tom winning the UK Masonry Skills Challenge is well overdue. He has natural ability with stone and deserves this accolade and recognition. I am also delighted for Mather & Ellis who are an excellent company, they have been sending their apprentices to York College for many years.”

Related Links

Stonemasonry apprenticeship

Current Term's News