Award Crest
York College

News Banner 1

News Banner 2

7th June 2016

The final year Acting and Backstage Arts students’ production of the Greek tragedy ‘Echoes of Hubris’ is a fitting finale not only for students completing their courses but also for their tutor and director Anthony Ravenhall who retires after 22 years teaching Performing Arts at York College.

Tony-Group-WEB

Echoes of Hubris is an adaptation of Sophocles’ Oedipus The King and Antigone in a new translation by David Stuttard, with additional material by Anthony Ravenhall himself.

Kane Hutchinson, formerly of Canon Lee School, is Oedipus. Kane intends taking a gap year and auditioning for drama school. He says: “It’s surreal to be rehearsing my last production at the College and playing Oedipus is a fantastic challenge. He’s such an unconventional leading character and a physically and emotionally demanding part to play. It’s also sad for Tony to be directing his last production at the College. His unique direction brings the best out of students. He has a clear vision and I’ll miss being part of that.”

Tony Ravenhall has made a huge contribution to the lives and careers of over two thousand students over the last 22 years. He says: “All that time ago I helped to write and develop the performing arts course and our students have successfully gained places at the most prestigious drama schools in the UK as well as the top Dance schools and universities.

"I am immensely proud of the achievements of our students, some of whom are now high profile performers working in the industry. Names such as Samuel Edward Cooke who has performed at The Globe theatre, successful film actress Mhairi Calvey, Taj Atwell who has a leading role in the current television series In The Club and Toby Gordon who is fresh out of drama school and playing Lucifer in the York Mystery Plays at the moment. There are many more; a technician who lit Robbie Williams’ European tour, a stage manager and props makers who worked for Cirque du Soleil in Beijing and the National Theatre … I could go on!”

David Wiczynski formerly of Graham School, Scarborough wants to follow in Tony Ravenhall’s footsteps as a director and is progressing to Manchester Metropolitan University to study Contemporary Theatre & Performance. He says: “I’ve had a blast studying Acting at York College and I will be sad to leave. This course has given me the chance to move on and Tony has been an inspirational tutor – he has so much knowledge and has been extremely helpful helping me with my university applications/auditions.”

Georgia Steel, formerly of Thirsk School, is progressing to study Acting at ALRA. She says of her tutor: “Tony is one of a kind and a very good director and it’s been amazing working with him. Tony has helped me to understand how different directors put their ideas across, how they work with performers to create theatre.”

Echoes of Hubris runs from Weds 15th – Friday 17th June (2.00pm & 7.00pm, Thursday 7.00pm only) in the College’s Alan Ayckbourn Theatre. Tickets are £6 (£4 concessions) available from the College Finance Office: 01904 770495

Related Link

Media, Music and Performing Arts

Performing Arts Acting Extended Diploma Level 3

Production Arts (Backstage Arts) Extended Diploma Level 3

Current Term's News