Award Crest
York College

News Banner 1

News Banner 2

17th May 2016

A nineteen year old A Level student at York College has become the UK’s youngest mayor. Terence Smith was voted Mayor of Goole following his election as Labour councillor last year in the district’s north-east ward.

Terence Smith - Mayor of GooleWEB

Terence is about to complete his A Level studies in drama, media and film studies at York College. And now, in his new mayoral role he has the daunting task of representing 18,500 people in his home town.

He has always been involved in this local community and is passionate about being the town’s young voice, wanting to push issues and move them forward. He says: “I want to show the younger generation that if you want something you need to put effort in to get results. I have been elected for four years and my main interest is to serve the community as best I can. Even though I will be going to university, hopefully in York or Hull, I should still be able to attend council meetings.”

After taking his first mayoral selfie (pictured above), when asked about his priorities for his new role he answered: “I’m going to get out there and ask people what they want. I know there is a lot of fly tipping to be cleared up and it needs doing properly - it's not nice for anybody to have rubbish on their doorstep. Also, there’s been an increase in graffiti in the area, again it needs cleaning up and plans put in place to reduce it."

Current Term's News