Award Crest
York College

News Banner 1

News Banner 2

4th May 2016

It was a tremendous achievement for the York College Football Development Centre to reach the ECFA National Final, despite losing 3-2 to Milton Keynes College.  Nevertheless it was a thrilling English Colleges under 19s final at Birmingham City's St Andrews ground and York College only narrowly missed out on the national glory.

CupFinal LIne Up WEB

Playing in the sunshine at St Andrews 30,000 seater stadium, the York College/i2i team were particularly impressive, fighting back to equalise with two goals in the second half, only to be beaten in the final five minutes by Milton Keynes.

York College playing at St AndrewsWEB

It was the first time in the College's Football Development Centre history that the team had made it to the ECFA National Cup Final and it was a wonderful experience for the players and their supporters. Mark Smith, Head of Division for Sport at York College said: “I am immensely proud of the team, they played amazing football.  It took a huge effort to come back with two goals to equalise in the second half. Congratulations must go to our two goal scorers Marcel Chigumira and Alfie Beestin who almost clinched it for us. And, a particular mention should go to Casey Stewart who played outstanding football throughout the full 90 minutes. The team joins me in congratulating Milton Keynes College on winning the title, they provided us with a high level of play in the most important match in York College’s history.”

Related Link

Sports Development Centre

Current Term's News