Award Crest
York College

News Banner 1

News Banner 2

27th April 2016

Influenced by tunes that have marked the generations, final year students from the Extended Diploma in Music course at York College have performed their last concert together; ‘Generation Radio’ at the Post Office Club in York.

Generation Radio WEB2

With nostalgic songs from different musical eras, the students played songs from a variety of music genres; pop, rock, disco, soul, and heavy metal.  Student Tom Ansell (formerly of Brayton High School) said; “They are the kind of songs that stick in your head once you hear them on the radio. Songs such as Hotel California by the Eagles and Pink Floyd’s Comfortably Numb, as well as Hey Jude by the Beatles and Waterloo Sunset by the Kinks. It was great learning the songs with my friends but also a bit sad knowing this was our final performance together, as a class.”

Tutor Rob Parker said: “The songs are a celebration of the generations they represent. They have influenced us, our parents and our grandparents. The students enjoyed learning the wide range of material and the overall compilation blended well in performance – everyone did a great job. The students have just a few weeks left at College and I wish them all well as they progress to study higher education courses and continue their musical journeys.“

Generation Radio WEB1

Tom adds: “I’ve had the best time studying music at York College. Being a drummer, I’ve had some fantastic performance opportunities and gained in confidence. I’ve also had a go at playing other musical instruments. The course has taught me loads about being a musician and working in the music industry. I’ve learned about studio production skills, sound design and live performance. Everything you learn is in a practical professional environment. I’ve got a taste for the music industry now and I can’t wait to start studying for a degree in Popular Music at the Leeds College of Music.

The final performance of Generation Radio is on Wednesday 27th April 2016 at the Post Office Club, Marygate.  Doors open at 7.00pm for a 7.30pm start.  Tickets are £5.00  (concessions £4.00).

Related Link

Media Music and Performing Arts

Music Extended Diploma Level 3

Current Term's News