York College

News Banner 1

News Banner 2

21st April 2016

‘Revolting Rhymes’ inspired the final year Extended Diploma Dance performance of ‘Obscure Actualities’ in the College’s Alan Ayckbourn Theatre. Dance tutors Emma Fawcett and Gemma O’Connor choreographed creative interpretations based on Roald Dahl’s Revolting Rhymes, as well as the students very own revolting rhymes for the stories of Pinocchio and James and the Giant Peach.

Obscure Actualities5WEB

Student hip-hop dancer Jan-Michel Abuton choreographed an urban dance for ‘Pinocchio’. He explains: “The dance relates the different moods of the rhyme, with Pinocchio starting out as a happy little boy and then being kidnapped and taken to a much darker place and looks at issues surrounding ‘stranger danger’. I also enjoyed dancing the manipulated role of the Wolf in Little Red Riding Hood.”

Obscure Actualities2WEB

Throughout the two year course Jan-Michael (formerly of Horizon Community College) has travelled from Barnsley to study dance at York College. He adds: “I needed to learn about other dance styles and this course has taught me so much – I have enjoyed every lesson. I am currently auditioning for London dance schools and I’d like to be a professional choreographer in the future, sharing my own style of dance with others.”

Obscure Actualities1WEB

Stephanie Tooby (formerly of Tadcaster Grammar School) has enjoyed the course and especially performing in the final year show. She said: “Dancing together was emotional for us all. We have been a close knit group for the last two years and it is strange to think are all going our own separate ways in the summer. I have had offers from all of the universities I applied for and I’m really looking forward to carrying on my studies at DEDA, Derby University.”

ObscureActualities4WEB

Related Link

Dance Extended Diploma Level 3

Current Term's News

Need Help?