Award Crest
York College

News Banner 1

News Banner 2

26th January 2016

The annual York College Hair & Beauty competition, held at York Racecourse on Monday 25th January, involved around 250 full and part-time Hairdressing and Beauty Therapy students. The event attracted local employers, with some acting as judges.

Beauty14WEB1

Photograph:  NIgel Holland

The competition included the following categories: Fantasy Hair & Beauty, 1st Year Blow Dry, 1980s Make-up, Nail Art, Level 3 Skills Challenge, Evening Style, Advanced Make-up Artistry, Wall Street Crash (media make-up cuts/injuries) and 1920s – 1940s Era.

Lion7WEB

Photos: NIgel Holland

Beauty4WEB2

Photo: NIgel Holland

Foundation Degree Media Makeup, Special Effects Make-up and Hair Design student, Alex Cook, said: "The competition was great. We were able to showcase our creativity and get inspiration from others. I loved seeing everyone's ideas. I enjoy bridal make-up but I find the advant garde make-up particularly colourful. I hope to study the BA degree course in Media Make-up at York College next year."

Beauty10WEB

Jayne Laverick, Head of Division for Hair, Beauty and Holistic Therapies at York College said: “The competition gives our students the opportunity to showcase the skills they have learned in the College’s training salons and in local hair and beauty salons, where many of them work as apprentices. Working under strict competition conditions, the students produce a very high standards and develop their creativity. The quality of work is truly outstanding. A very big well done.”

Beauty11WEB

Photo: Nigel Holland

The winning students, listed below, will now go forward to a regional heat in Gateshead and winners from the regional heat then progress to compete in the national finals, to be held in Blackpool in March.

Beauty6WEB

Winners

1st Year Blow Dry 

3rd place Ciara Neary
2nd place Madeline Kelly
1st place Hayley Fowler

Wall Street Crash

3rd place Emma Richards
2nd place Laura Hogarth
1st place Isla Murray

Make-up artistry