Award Crest
York College

News Banner 1

News Banner 2

This month final year Extended Diploma Acting students will perform a selection of classical scenes from Antiquity to the 1600s in a candlelit performance at one of York’s most beautiful 14th Century Guild Halls, Bedern Hall.

Candle1WEB1

Students Fiona Baistow and Kane Hutchinson are rehearsing scenes from Shakespeare’s Hamlet and Aristophanes’ Greek comedy Lysistrata. They agree both plays are extremely different in genre and yet they say how much they are enjoying the challenge.

Fiona, formerly of All Saints RC School, says: “Out Brief Candle is tough as it is not in an era or language we are used to, there is a lot of research to do to help us to get into character. I previously studied A Levels at school before coming to College to study Acting - I felt studying a vocational course would be more advantageous when applying for drama school. There is no doubt that this course has developed my acting skills.”

Kane Hutchinson says: “We play comedic and tragic roles in this performance. Out Brief Candle is definitely the darker piece and will primarily be performed in candle light and in traverse style, with the audience on either side of the stage. It will be a very different atmospheric theatrical experience to anything I have done before. My initial plan was to study A Levels but this course is a better route for me to get into drama school, giving me more preparation and skills. I will be applying to the Royal Central School of Speech and Drama as well as Royal Conservatoire of Scotland to become an actor.”

Out Brief Candle will be performed at the Bedern Hall in York on Monday 19th and Tuesday 20th October, at 7.00pm. Tickets are available in advance from the York College Finance Office Tel: 01904 770492, priced £4.00.  

Related Links

Media, Music & Performing Arts

Performing Arts Acting Extended Diploma Level 3

Current Term's News