Award Crest
York College

News Banner 1

News Banner 2

18th September 2015

When Jake Colley (aged 31) enrolled on the BA (Hons) 3D Design Crafts degree course at York College he did not bargain on graduating three years later with his mum by his side. However, it was on his recommendation that his mother, Cheryl (aged 59), was introduced to the course and returned to education to top up her qualifications.

Jake and Cheryl Colley landscapeWEB

Having previously studied 3D modelling at York College, Jake wanted to create real things rather than make virtual objects on the computer. Whereas Cheryl had studied in the 90s, achieving a HND and a Certificate of Education, and being able to top up her qualification to a full degree was something she wanted to do.

Both Jake and his mum have enjoyed working in the College’s art studios; Jake experimenting with traditional and contemporary design techniques and Cheryl working with colour and glass. Says Cheryl: “Whilst working with some vulnerable adults I realised the potential of colour, I saw how colour aided their recovery and glass is a great medium for this.” Jake adds: “I created some interesting interior design objects and I’ve found the course really interesting.”

Jake says: “We both got different things out of the degree. Even though we studied the same course we worked fairly independently and did not see too much of each other at College.”
Says Cheryl: “We come from an arty family so it’s not surprising we wanted to study the course. It’s has been good to bounce ideas around and discuss our work, studying together has not been a problem. We loved the experience and would like to thank the tutors and technicians in the Art & Design department for their support. Our Graduation photograph is definitely one for the family album!”

Jake continues at York College to study a PGCE as he wants to become an art teacher. Cheryl has recently moved to Saltburn to set up her own business, delivering art workshops for adults. She works with local galleries, selling her artwork to local design and craft shops.

Cheryl and Jake ColleyWEB

Related Link

BA (Hons) Contemporary 3D Crafts

Current Term's News