Award Crest
York College

Congratulations to Engineering student Calum Finn who was the overall winner at the North Yorkshire Business and Education Partnership (NYBEP) Inspirations 2015 event, held at the air museum in Elvington.

Calum Finn - Inspirations winner 2015WEB

Inspirations 2015 is York’s biggest event showcasing Science Technology Engineering and Maths (STEM) in education and work, with over 30 hands-on activities for students provided by employers, colleges, universities and other STEM partners. Young people from North Yorkshire presented around 120 projects and the overall winner was Nestle apprentice and York College engineering student Calum Finn, formerly of Barlby High School, who was awarded the George Cayley Trophy for demonstrating his gas sensing robots vehicle.

35WEB

Calum (aged 18), is an engineering apprentice at Nestle, studying Level 3 Electrical Engineering and A Level Engineering at York College. As well as being the overall winner and awarded the George Cayley Cup he also won the Merchant Adventurers Cup and was named the winner of the Post-16 Electronics Project.  He said: “I was surprised to win as there were some really good projects on show. I enjoyed talking about my work and demonstrating my gas sensing robots vehicle. I have also been invited to participate in the Big Bang Fair UK at Birmingham’s NEC in March next year.”

Calum Finn - Inspirations 2015WEB

Sue Gradwell, Chief Excecutive of NYBEP commented: “STEM subjects are critical to the success of our economy both locally and nationally. This event demonstrates so well how these subjects studied at college and school can lead to some of the most exciting career opportunities.”

Current Term's News

Need Help?