Award Crest
York College

News Banner 1

News Banner 2

York College is proud to announce that stonemasonry apprentice Sam Turner, age 19 from Leeds, will be competing to be named the best young stonemason in the world and win Gold at the world’s largest skills competition, WorldSkills, taking place in São Paulo, Brazil from 11th to 16th August 2015.

Sam Turner3WEB

Sam Turner, a former pupil at Temple Moor High School, is a stonemasonry apprentice at York Minster. He was selected to represent Team UK in the Architectural Stonemasonry competition after excelling in Squad UK and the WorldSkills UK National Skills Competitions, the finals of which take place at The Skills Show.

WorldSkills is the largest international skills competition in the world. Held every two years, the Competition sees around 1000 young people, aged 18-25, from all over the world come together to compete for medals in more than 45 different skills including Electrical Installation, Welding, Web Design, Cooking and Bricklaying.

By participating in the WorldSkills Competition, the UK is able to share best practice on vocational teaching, raising standards and expertise in further education, skills and apprenticeships on a global scale. Team UK will showcase the UK’s world class vocational and further education system by demonstrating their skills in a range of industries at the Competition.

Sam Turner said: “It is a huge honour to have been selected to represent the UK at WorldSkills São Paulo 2015. It still really hasn’t sunk in! I have trained hard for fourteen months and I will keep training right up until the competition in August – I want to be the best in the world! I want to use this opportunity to inspire the next generation of the UK’s workforce and showcase how apprenticeships and training can lead to successful employment opportunities.”

Paul Hill, stonemasonry tutor at York College comments: “From day one Sam had a natural ability with stone, producing advanced work at a young age. He deserves his place in the WorldSkills competition and has every chance of proving himself to be the best stonemason in the world!”

York College now has three people actively involved in the WorldSkills competition with Brickwork tutor Mike Burdett and former stonemasonry tutor Kevin Calpin taking on their roles as World Skills Trainers.

Carole Stott, Chair, Find a Future, which manages the UK’s entry into the WorldSkills Competition said: “I offer my congratulations to every young person that has earned a place in Team UK. Skills competitions showcase the levels of performance that can be achieved by individuals and organisations through high quality further education, skills training and apprenticeships in the UK. Through skills competitions and the wider work of Find a Future we want to provide every young person with the chance to unlock their potential and get excited about the world of work.”

Related Links

Stonemasonry Apprenticeship

Current Term's News