Award Crest
York College

News Banner 1

News Banner 2

Final year Extended Diploma Performing Arts (Acting) students perform together for the last time in an adaptation of Karel and Kapek’s The Insect Play in the College’s Alan Ayckbourn Theatre. Playing the roles of a drunken tramp and a variety of creepy crawlies, students take the audience on a woodland life journey , before they move onto pastures new to further their studies.

Insect Play Images Tilly2WEB

Performing Arts tutor and director Anthony Ravenhall says: “The play has fascinated me ever since I was an ant in a school production at the age of 12. I loved its anarchic nature, the juxtaposition of man's traits as portrayed by insects and the philosophical commentary of the tramp. We have brought some of the scenes further into the 20th century than the 1926 original but the themes are still as relevant today as they were in the aftermath of the war to end all wars. It's a rather sobering thought really.”

Student Charlie Kirkpatrick is progressing to the Birmingham School of Acting in September. He said: “Working on the Insect Play has been challenging but really enjoyable. I’ve never worked on such a stylised piece and as it’s in promenade, with the audience following the action around the theatre, it has really opened my eyes to the possibilities of what can be done on stage. I’ve had a brilliant time at York College. The Performing Arts course and the tutors have given me the skills and confidence to get into one of the top drama schools in the country and I am now looking forward to studying for a degree in Acting. At College I’ve made some real friends and I will really miss them all.”

The Insect Play runs from Wednesday 10th to Friday 12th June (2.00pm and 7.00pm) in the Alan Ayckbourn Theatre at York College. Tickets priced £6 and £4 are available from the York College Finance Office Tel: 01904 770495.

Related Link

Performing Arts (Acting) Extended Diploma Level 3

Current Term's News