Award Crest
York College

News Banner 1

News Banner 2

At the end of their Performing Arts Extended Diploma course, Level 3 dance students perform ‘Wonderland’ in the College’s Alan Ayckbourn Theatre, exploring themes and imagery in the Alice and Wonderland story and focussing on character interpretation.

WonderlandWEB2

The close knit year group have danced together for the last two years, studying a wide variety of dance forms including ballet, contemporary, urban and jazz. As a finale to their final dance show students also performed their winning pieces from the European Dance Champions 2015, when in February the group performed at Disneyland Paris, winning the overall championship.

WonderlandWEB3

Eighteen year old dance student Ryan Hughes (formerly of Manor Church of England Academy) said: “I don’t think I would be the dancer I am if it wasn't for the teamwork on my course. At College I have had some great opportunities like the Move It dance convention in London and an aerial workshop. Both trips opened my eyes to how hard you have to train to become a dancer in the industry. The European Dance Championships in Paris were amazing and probably the best dance experience I've had in my life. Next year I will be attending Addict Dance Academy, studying a professional diploma.”

Wonderland WEB1

Annie-Rose Grantham (formerly of the Snaith School, Goole) said: “I started dancing at the age of 3 at my local dance school and trained in many different styles of dance. At York College I have developed and maintained my technique in all genres of dance and gained confidence in my singing, which has been helpful in recent auditions. One of the best experiences at York College was been crowned European Dance Champions 2015 at Disneyland Paris with the rest of my group. Along side College I also attend the Northern School Of Contemporary Dance as part of Yorkshire Young Dancers. I have auditioned and gained offers from three different universities and have been offered a place at Bird College. I am certain I will pursue my career in dance to inspire others.”

Current Term's News