Award Crest
York College

News Banner 1

News Banner 2

Musical Theatre students at York College are excited to present their final year performance, The Witches of Eastwick, in the College’s Alan Ayckbourn Theatre. The musical, performed by two separate casts, tells the story of three frustrated and bored ‘Witches' in the village of Eastwick, who share a desire for a charismatic, devil-like stranger, Darryl Van Horne.

WOE2-WEB

Kate Bridges, Musical Theatre tutor and Director says: “This production showcases an ensemble cast who bring to life the story of a small quiet town in Rhode Island, dealing with the arrival of a stranger who shakes up the natural order. What I like about this show, besides the great songs, is the complexity of the female characters at the centre of the story. You rarely get this number of well written female characters in one musical. While it’s very entertaining and a real American Comedy musical, the main theme of the story is really about self-empowerment.”

The part of one of the witches, Sukie, is shared by Lizzie Nunn (formerly of Tadcaster Grammar School) and Pippa Mundey (formerly of the Graham School, Scarborough). They agree that double casting has helped them in the rehearsal stages. Lizzie says: “It’s been useful to learn the part with someone else, going through different scenes and songs, and yet we have still been able to make the part our own. We love the musical and are excited to perform it with the rest of our course mates to mark the end of our course.” Coincidentally, on completion of their College course,  both students are also looking forward to progressing to Cambridge Performing Arts Body Works to study Musical Theatre.

Student Meg Forgan, formerly of Millthorpe School, is witch Jane Smart, who plays the cello. On leaving York College Meg will study Musical Theatre at the Royal Scottish Conservatoire. She says: “Studying Musical Theatre, and being encouraged by my tutors to perform in productions outside of College, helped me in my auditions. My tutors have been very supportive and I am looking forward to our final year show, acting, singing and dancing with my friends. ”

The Witches of Eastwick runs from 22nd – 24th April at the Alan Aykbourn Theatre, York College (1.00pm and 7.00pm). Tickets are available from the College’s Finance Office.

Advice/Parental Guidelines: Appropriate for adult audiences. Includes sexual content, strong and sometimes crude sexual references, some violence, reference to and use of alcohol.

Related Link

Musical Theatre Extended Diploma Level 3

Current Term's News