Award Crest
York College

News Banner 1

News Banner 2

Young people in the first stage of their careers at York College were interviewed on BBC News, joining in the national media coverage about General Electioneering policies regarding careers advice for young people. The small group of apprentices, work experience trainees and young employees (all aged under 25) spoke to BBC Reporter Richard Bilton about their own journeys from education to employment.

National News best WEB

York College employee Suzie Harker (aged 23) said: “I left university with a good degree but felt I lacked practical work experience, so I was delighted when York College offered me temporary work, followed by an internship. This led to a full-time, permanent role at the College. I know other university graduates won’t be as lucky as me and, with the fees tripling since I went to university, I wanted to stress the importance of work-based learning opportunities so that young people know that they have options outside of academia and can make an informed decision at the right age.”

Jake Jarvis (aged 19) is a Business Administration apprentice in the College’s Human Resources department. On completing his apprenticeship Jake hopes to study a further qualification at College, however he requires funding to allow him to do this. In the interview he said: “I want to put the point across that I think it is important for young people to have a career plan and to be given help with that. The government should make this possible by providing the necessary funding.”

Frankie Bricklebank (aged 23) is taking advantage of a work experience placement opportunity at York College alongside her university studies. She said: “It is vital for me to gain employment opportunities. I hope the government will put better careers advice in place to help people like me who really need to develop their skills in order to progress in the world of work.”

See BBC video clip below:

Current Term's News