Award Crest
York College

News Banner 1

News Banner 2

News Banner 3

A Level English student Daniel Shipley (aged 17) is overjoyed to have his first novel ‘The Glorified Sinner’ published on Kindle, with a paperback in the offing.

Dan Shipley Kindle book BESTWEB

Inspired by Robert Louis Stevenson’s Jekyll and Hyde, Daniel , formerly of Manor C of E School, began writing his first gothic novel in Year 9! His first short novel featured a character called Quinton and on showing his work to friends he received positive feedback – so he kept on writing!

Daniel enjoyed reading Colin Dexter’s Inspector Morse stories and on returning to his own original novel he decided to turn the character of Quinton into a Victorian detective. Three books later, Daniel’s mum encouraged him to send his work to a small publishing company who responded asking him to write them a further novel.

Daniel wrote ‘The Glorified Sinner’ during his first year of A Level study at College. Set in a small English village in the 1930s and featuring detective Alf Greenway, Daniel was delighted to find out that his novel was deemed worthy of publishing by Sycamore Publishing.

Dan Shipley working pic by Freya Marshall PayneWEB

(photograph: Freya Marshall Payne)

Daniel Says: “It is mind blowing! I don’t expect my novel to be a best seller, simply seeing my work on Amazon is so rewarding, yet weird! I’ve already planned my next novel and I have lots of ideas. I really enjoy writing, I have received support throughout the writing process and my parents are very encouraging.”

Daniel is looking forward to studying Creative Writing at York St John University next year.

Related Link:

English Language and Literature AS and A Level

Current Term's News