York College

Most International students will need a visa to study in the UK, you can check whether you need a visa using the link below.  You can apply for a study visa up to 6 months before your course starts, so, for a course starting in September you could apply for a visa from April that year.  You must follow a process and can only apply for your study visa once we have formally accepted you onto a course and you have received the necessary offer documents from us.

Step 1: Get your CAS number

The College is your official student visa sponsor. From April, provided you have met the conditions of your offer, we will issue you with a Confirmation of Acceptance to Study (CAS) letter. This letter contains a unique reference number that you need for your visa application. You cannot apply without a CAS number.

  • We will not issue this more than six months in advance of your course start date as this is the earliest you can apply for your visa.
  • We will not issue you with a CAS number until you have paid your course deposit (£1000).

Step 2: Check your paperwork

Before you submit your application, you should check any accompanying paperwork. This must include any evidence we have listed in your CAS letter, but should also include the following:

  • Your current passport
  • One passport sized colour photo with your name written on the back
  • Proof of parental consent, under 18s only.
  • Evidence of your financial maintenance (see below)
  • Evidence of your tuberculosis test result

Note that in order to study in the UK, students must demonstrate that they have had a certain amount of money in their bank account (or accounts used to support them, such as a parent’s account) for at least 28 days prior to their application. For a student staying in York for 9 months or longer this amount is £9135 (£1015 per month for 9 months). This amount may rise in the future and can be found in the latest UKVI Guidance.

Step 3: Apply online

You must apply for your student visa online. After you have submitted your online application you will need to make an appointment to provide fingerprints and to submit the documentation listed above. Begin your application here:

Step 4: Tell us when you get your visa

The UK Visas and Immigration Service (UKVI) does not tell York College the outcome of your visa application, so please tell us as soon as you have received your visa.

Step 5: Collect your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP)

The final stage of your application happens after you arrive in the UK. Before this you will be given an “entry clearance vignette” which is stuck into your passport. You can use this to travel and enter the United Kingdom. However, you will need to collect your Biometric Residence Permit within ten days of arriving in the country.

During your application, please select the Post Office in WHSmith on Coney Street for collecting your BRP. If you do this, we will collect your BRP for you during your first week in York.

Need Help?