Learn more about the amazing city of York
A city perfectly placed at the heart of the UK, recently voted the best place to live in Britain by the Times.
Well known as a historic and cultural centre in the North of England, the City of York has something for everyone. York is famed for its rich heritage and stunning architecture but is also a very student-friendly city. The real enjoyment of the Yorkshire capital comes from being a York student and having the opportunity to fully immerse yourself in the city’s cultural hub and educational opportunities. Set within the beautiful North Yorkshire countryside, York provides a great city lifestyle, while still being central enough for you to explore all that Yorkshire has to offer.
To the west of York, you’ll find the peaceful rolling meadows of the Yorkshire Dales, which have provided inspiration for writers such as the Brontë sisters and James Herriot, while in contrast, South Yorkshire boasts a fascinating glimpse into the region’s industrial heritage.
Towards the north, you’ll discover the North Yorkshire Moors with their dramatic brooding landscape of rocks and purple heather and to the east there’s the rugged Yorkshire coastline with its picturesque coastal retreats, such as Scarborough, Filey and the infamous town of Whitby, where Bram Stoker found some of his inspiration for ‘Dracula’.
With its skyline dominated by York Minster, the largest gothic cathedral in Northern Europe, York’s old boundary is still guarded by its Roman walls, which are an impressive reminder of York’s role as the Roman Empire’s capital city outside of Rome.
In addition to its surroundings and history, York has countless leisure and entertainment facilities. With two theatres, a conference centre and York Racecourse, the city regularly welcomes some of the top names in the world of music, comedy and entertainment. The city is packed with bars, cafés, nightclubs and restaurants, as well as many specialist shops and boutiques. Not to mention that York famously has 365 pubs, one for every day of the year!
Our Top 5 things to do in York
York is a beautiful, vibrant and diverse city, with something for everyone. Whether you're new to the city or have lived here for years. We’re sure you'll find something new to fall in love with. Here's our top 5 things to do!
- Tuck into some street food. With the Shambles Market, Spark York, countless food festivals and York's world famous Yorkshire pudding wrap you're spoilt for choice.
- Walk! Whether it’s along the Walls at dusk, by the river at dawn or through York's medieval alleyways at noon, you'll be hard pressed to find a more picturesque city to explore.
- Grab a book and head to one of York's Green spaces. The Museum Gardens and Minster Gardens are perfect places to catch up on some reading.
- Catch some culture, with two theatres, multiple museums, dozens of live music venues, festivals, and street art York has something for everyone's tastes.
- Go independent. York has a wide array of independent and locally owned businesses, ranging from amazing coffee shops to truly unique bars, long-standing shops to start up shipping containers.