Tyre, Exhaust & Windscreen Fitters
Tyre, exhaust and windscreen fitters fit, repair and adjust tyres, exhausts and windscreens on cars, buses, motorcycles and other motor vehicles.
- Carries out inspection and assesses the nature and extent of repair necessary
- Removes wheel, exhaust or windscreen using semi-automatic machinery or hand and power tools
- Separates tyre from wheel and fits replacement tyre using automatic machine or by using a wheel stand and hand tools
- Inflates tyre to correct pressure, refits wheel to axle and balances wheel using balancing machine
- Replaces faulty parts of exhaust and refits exhaust or windscreen to vehicle.
There are no formal academic entry requirements. Training is typically provided on-the-job, or through training programmes within larger companies. NVQs/SVQs in Vehicle Maintenance (Service Replacement) are available at Levels 1 and 2.
Salaries for this occupation tend to start at £22,000 per annum and can progress up to £26,000 per annum.
Is it in growth or decline?
There are currently 1,299 employed Tyre, Exhaust & Windscreen Fitters in the region.