Educational Support Assistants
Educational support assistants work with teachers to provide one-to-one support for children with particular learning needs.
- Supports schoolwork under teacher’s supervision
- Helps child understand instruction through a variety of means and encourages self-confidence and independence
- Identifies signs of distress and offers reassurance
- Implements care programmes, as appropriate
- Helps and encourages child to communicate
- Attends to child’s physical needs
- Provides feedback to teachers and completes and maintains records.
Academic qualifications may be required by some employers, although entry is possible with relevant experience alone. CRB clearance is mandatory.
Salaries for this occupation tend to start at £18,000 per annum and can progress up to £21,000 per annum.
Is it in growth or decline?
There are currently 19,138 employed Educational Support Assistants in the region.
17 Jun 2020
Destinations of Health and Social Care Completers July 2018
49% of students went on to other Further Education at York College
19% of students went on to Higher Education
4% of students went on to employment
Destinations of Early Years and Education Completers July 2018
51% of students went on to other Further Education at York College
11% of students went on to Higher Education
11% of students went on to employment