Teaching assistants assist teachers with their day-to-day classroom work and with routine administrative tasks.
- Assists teacher with preparation or clearing up of classroom
- Looks after lesson materials such as paper, pencils and crayons
- Listens to children read, reads to them or tells stories
- Assists children with washing or dressing for outdoor and similar activities
- Makes simple teaching aids and constructs thematic displays of educational material or children’s work
- Helps with outings and other out-of-classroom activities.
Academic qualifications may be required by some employers, although entry is possible with relevant experience (possibly on a voluntary basis) alone. An NVQ Level 2 qualification is available. CRB clearance is mandatory.
Salaries for this occupation tend to start at £18,000 per annum and can progress up to £23,000 per annum.
Is it in growth or decline?
There are currently 51,277 employed Teaching Assistants in the region.
Destinations of Health and Social Care Completers July 2018
49% of students went on to other Further Education at York College
19% of students went on to Higher Education
4% of students went on to employment
Destinations of Early Years and Education Completers July 2018
51% of students went on to other Further Education at York College
11% of students went on to Higher Education
11% of students went on to employment