Weavers & Knitters
Weavers and knitters set up and operate hand and power operated looms and machines to weave fibre into fabrics and carpet, or to knit (by machine or by hand) garments and other articles from yarn.
- Prepares machine for operation by setting input packages, feeding thread, fibre or yarn through guides, rollers, tensioners and conditioning devices, and securing to output packages, spools or cards
- Sets controls to produce article of specified size and pattern
- Places fibre and yarn packages on machine and draws them through appropriate guides and tensioners
- Monitors machine operation to detect broken threads of yarn, the evenness of warp tension and the quality of output
- Removes completed garments and lengths of fabric from machine
- Cleans and oils machine and reports any mechanical faults
- Hand knits garments and other items according to pattern.
Entrants typically possess GCSEs/S grades or an appropriate BTEC/SQA award. Training is usually provided on-the-job. NVQs/SVQs in Manufacturing Textiles are available at Levels 1, 2 and 3 and in Products from Textiles at Levels 1 and 2.
Salaries for this occupation tend to start at £23,000 per annum and can progress up to £26,000 per annum.
Is it in growth or decline?
There are currently 0 employed Weavers & Knitters in the region.
Destinations of Engineering Completers July 2018
54% of students went on to other Further Education at York College
6% of students went on to other Higher Education
8% of students went on to employment