Painters & Decorators
Those working in this unit group apply paint, varnish, wallpaper and other protective and decorative materials to interior and exterior walls and surfaces, paint designs on wood, glass, metal, plastics and other materials, and stain, wax and french polish wood surfaces by hand.
- Erects working platform or scaffolding up to five metres in height
- Prepares surfaces by cleaning, sanding and filling cracks and holes with appropriate filler
- Applies primer, undercoat and finishing coat(s) using brush, roller, or spray equipment
- Mixes adhesive or removes self-adhesive backing and positions covering material on wall, matching up patterns where appropriate and removing wrinkles and air bubbles by hand or brush
- Stains, waxes and french polishes wood surfaces by hand.
There are no formal academic entry requirements, though GCSEs/S grades are advantageous. Entry is typically through an apprenticeship or traineeship approved by ConstructionSkills leading to an NVQ/SVQ in General Construction at Level 3.
Salaries for this occupation tend to start at £25,000 per annum and can progress up to £28,000 per annum.
Is it in growth or decline?
There are currently 15,640 employed Painters & Decorators in the region.
Destinations of Construction Completers July 2018
57% of students went on to other FE study
11% of students went on to an Apprenticeship
3% of students went on to employment