Plumbers & Heating & Ventilating Engineers
Jobholders in this unit group assemble, install, maintain and repair plumbing fixtures, heating and ventilating systems and pipes and pipeline systems in commercial, residential and industrial premises and public buildings.
- Examines drawings and specifications to determine layout of system
- Measures and cuts required lengths of copper, lead, steel, iron, aluminium or plastic using hand or machine tools
- Installs fittings such as storage tanks, cookers, baths, toilets, taps and valves, refrigerators, boilers, radiators and fires
- Tests completed installation for leaks and makes any necessary adjustments
- Attaches fittings and joins piping by welding, soldering, cementing, fusing, screwing or other methods
- Repairs burst pipes and mechanical and combustion faults and replaces faulty taps, washers, valves, etc.
There are no formal academic requirements although GCSEs/S grades are advantageous. NVQs/SVQs in Mechanical Engineering Services are available at Levels 2 and 3. Apprenticeships are available for plumbing and lead to an NVQ/SVQ at Level 3.
Salaries for this occupation tend to start at £31,000 per annum and can progress up to £39,000 per annum.
Is it in growth or decline?
There are currently 22,678 employed Plumbers & Heating & Ventilating Engineers in the region.
Destinations of Construction Completers July 2018
57% of students went on to other FE study
11% of students went on to an Apprenticeship
3% of students went on to employment