Bricklayers & Masons
Bricklayers and masons erect and repair structures of stone, brick and similar materials and cut, shape and polish granite, marble, slate and other stone for building, ornamental and other purposes.
- Examines drawings, photographs and specifications to determine job requirements
- Marks and cuts stone using hammers, mallet and hand or pneumatic chisels
- Spreads mortar on foundations and bricks, and places, levels and aligns bricks in mortar bed
- Uses hand and power tools to shape, trim, carve, cut letters in and polish stone
- Levels, aligns and embeds stone in mortar and faces brick, concrete or steel frame with stone to make and repair structures.
There are no formal academic entry requirements, though GCSEs/S grades are advantageous. Entry is typically through an apprenticeship or traineeship approved by ConstructionSkills leading to an NVQ/SVQ in General Construction at Level 3.
Salaries for this occupation tend to start at £28,000 per annum and can progress up to £33,000 per annum.
Is it in growth or decline?
There are currently 6,918 employed Bricklayers & Masons in the region.
Destinations of Construction Completers July 2018
57% of students went on to other FE study
11% of students went on to an Apprenticeship
3% of students went on to employment