IT engineers install, maintain and repair the physical components of computer systems and equipment.
- Installs, tests and maintains computer-related hardware (processors, memory chips, circuit boards, displays, sensors, data storage devices, printers, etc.) according to given specifications
- Diagnoses hardware related faults
- Repairs or replaces defective components
- Advises on and installs operating soft/firm ware and may carry out upgrades
- Maintains documentation to track and log work in progress and completed.
Entry is possible with a variety of academic qualifications and/or relevant experience. Entrants typically possess GCSEs/S grades and A levels/H grades, BTEC/SQA awards, an Advanced GNVQ/ GSVQ Level III or a degree. Training is usually provided on-the-job supplemented by specialised courses. Postgraduate and professional qualifications, and NVQs/SVQs at Levels 2 and 3 are available.
Salaries for this occupation tend to start at £31,000 per annum and can progress up to £39,000 per annum.
Is it in growth or decline?
There are currently 2,836 employed IT Engineers in the region.
19 Jan 2021
12 Jan 2021
13 Jan 2021
22 Jan 2021
8 Jan 2021
Destinations of Digital Technologies Completers July 2018
58% of students went on to other Further Education at York College
11% of students went on to other Higher Education
3% of students went on to employment