Metal Working Production & Maintenance Fitters
Metal working production and maintenance fitters erect, install and repair electrical and mechanical plant and industrial machinery, fit and assemble parts and sub-assemblies in the manufacture of metal products and test and adjust new motor vehicles and engines.
- Examines drawings and specifications to determine appropriate methods and sequence of operations
- Fits and assembles parts and/or metal sub-assemblies to fine tolerances to make marine engines, prototype metal products, agricultural machinery and machine tools
- Fits and assembles, other than to fine tolerances, prepared parts and sub-assemblies to make motor vehicles, printing and agricultural machinery, orthopaedic appliances and other metal goods
- Examines operation of, and makes adjustments to, internal combustion engines and motor vehicles
- Erects, installs, repairs and services plant and industrial machinery, including railway stock, textile machines, coin operated machines, locks, sewing machines, bicycles and gas and oil appliances.
Entrants usually possess GCSEs/S grades, a GNVQ/ GSVQ or a BTEC/SQA award. Apprenticeships in Engineering Maintenance at NVQ/SVQ Level 3 are available.
Salaries for this occupation tend to start at £33,000 per annum and can progress up to £48,000 per annum.
Is it in growth or decline?
There are currently 22,197 employed Metal Working Production & Maintenance Fitters in the region.
Destinations of Engineering Completers July 2018
54% of students went on to other Further Education at York College
6% of students went on to other Higher Education
8% of students went on to employment