Artists create artistic works using appropriate techniques, materials and media; design artwork and illustrations; and restore damaged pieces of art.
- Conceives and develops ideas and ways of working for artistic composition
- Selects appropriate materials, medium and method
- Prepares sketches, scale drawings or colour schemes
- Builds up composition into finished work by carving, sculpting, etching, painting, engraving, drawing, etc.
- Approaches managers of galleries and exhibitions in order to get finished work displayed
- Uses artistic skills to restore damaged artworks
- Liaises with writers and publishers to produce book illustrations
- Markets and sells finished work directly to customers
- Produces works on commission basis for clients.
No specific academic qualifications are required although a variety of vocational qualifications, degrees and postgraduate courses are available. Entry can be based upon portfolio work.
Salaries for this occupation tend to start at £29,000 per annum and can progress up to £31,000 per annum.
Is it in growth or decline?
There are currently 3,796 employed Artists in the region.
28 Apr 2020
13 May 2020
6 May 2020
30 Apr 2020
Destinations of Art & Design Completers July 2018
47% of students went on to other Further Education at York College.
35% of students went on to other Higher Education
Destinations of Media, Music and Performing Arts Completers July 2018
56% of students went on to other Further Education at York College
25% of students went on to Higher Education
3% of students went on to employment