Research & Development Managers
Managers in this unit group plan, organise, co-ordinate and manage resources to undertake the systematic investigation necessary for the development of new, or to enhance the performance of existing, products and services.
- Establishes product design and performance objectives in consultation with other business functions
- Liaises with production departments to investigate and resolve manufacturing problems
- Develops research methodology, implements and reports upon research investigations undertaken
- Plans work schedules, assigns tasks and delegates responsibilities to the research and development team
- Monitors the standards of scientific and technical research undertaken by the research team.
Entrants usually possess a relevant degree or equivalent qualification. Training is usually provided on-the-job, although support may be provided for postgraduate study. Professional qualifications are available.
Salaries for this occupation tend to start at £51,000 per annum and can progress up to £54,000 per annum.
Is it in growth or decline?
There are currently 4,469 employed Research & Development Managers in the region.
16 Sep 2019
Destinations of Digital Technologies Completers July 2018
58% of students went on to other Further Education at York College
11% of students went on to other Higher Education
3% of students went on to employment