Jobholders in this unit group investigate, address, and advise on a variety of terrestrial and marine environment and resource management issues, including the development and implementation of environmental policies and remedies that address the impacts of human activities and industrial processes on the environment.
- Identifies contamination of land, air or water and assesses any adverse impact on the environment
- Advises on and provides solutions for mitigating the effects of such contamination
- Implements remediation works
- Carries out environment-related desk-based research and fieldwork to collect, analyse and interpret data to determine their validity, quality and significance
- Carries out environmental audits and environmental impact assessments
- Communicates scientific and technical information to relevant audiences in an appropriate form, via reports, workshops, educational events, public hearings
- Assists organisations to conduct their activities in an environmentally appropriate manner
- Implements, reviews and advises on regulatory and legislative standards, guidelines and policies
- Provides professional guidance to clients, government agencies, regulators and other relevant bodies, having regard for sustainable approaches and solutions.
A good degree in a relevant subject is normally a minimum entry qualification, and some employers will require a postgraduate qualification. Relevant work experience to complement academic qualifications is highly desirable. Professional qualifications across a wide range of areas of work are available.
Salaries for this occupation tend to start at £37,000 per annum and can progress up to £44,000 per annum.
Is it in growth or decline?
There are currently 3,861 employed Environment Professionals in the region.
7 Jun 2019
12 Jun 2019
13 Jun 2019
13 Jun 2019
21 Jun 2019
Destinations of Construction Completers July 2018
57% of students went on to other FE study
11% of students went on to an Apprenticeship
3% of students went on to employment
Destinations of Science Completers July 2018
63% of students went on to other Further Education at York College
24% of students went on to Higher Education