Design & Development Engineers
Design and development engineers conceive engineering designs from product ideas or requirements in mechanical, electrical and electronic engineering.
- Assesses product requirements, including costs, manufacturing feasibility and market requirements
- Prepares working designs for steam, aero, turbine, marine and electrical engines, mechanical instruments, aircraft and missile structures, vehicle and ship structures, plant and machinery equipment, domestic electrical appliances, building systems and services, and electronic computing and telecommunications equipment
- Arranges construction and testing of model or prototype and modifies design if necessary
- Produces final design information for use in preparation of layouts, parts lists, etc.
- Prepares specifications for materials and other components.
Design and development engineers usually possess an accredited university degree or equivalent qualification. All routes are followed by periods of appropriate training and relevant experience in order to qualify for membership of a chartered engineering institution. Incorporated engineers possess an accredited university degree, BTEC/SQA award or an apprenticeship leading to an NVQ/SVQ at Level 4.
Salaries for this occupation tend to start at £42,000 per annum and can progress up to £45,000 per annum.
Is it in growth or decline?
There are currently 9,735 employed Design & Development Engineers in the region.
4 Nov 2020
Destinations of Art & Design Completers July 2018
47% of students went on to other Further Education at York College.
35% of students went on to other Higher Education
Destinations of Digital Technologies Completers July 2018
58% of students went on to other Further Education at York College
11% of students went on to other Higher Education
3% of students went on to employment
Destinations of Engineering Completers July 2018
54% of students went on to other Further Education at York College
6% of students went on to other Higher Education
8% of students went on to employment