We know that physically attending college is difficult at the moment but that doesn’t mean you can’t improve your skills or gain new ones with our Virtual Xtra Programme.
There’s never been a better time to get involved!
Keep your mind active with free audio books. All stories are free to stream on a desktop , laptop, phone or tablet.
Don’t miss out on animal antics with zoos across the country. Bringing zoos to you with their exciting virtual zoo days and tours.
You could also win £500 in the Royal Society of Biology photography competition. Click here to find out more.
Whether you’re confident in the kitchen or don’t know where to start, here are some great websites with lots of recipes, that won’t break the bank. Bon Appetit!
- Online cooking and baking workshops from Nando’s, Wagamama and Bread Ahead
- Nadiya Hussain: Recipes from 2015’s Great British Bake-Off winner - not just cakes either!
- Jack Monroe: Inventive recipes using ordinary ingredients, showing that you can eat well on a budget.
- Yorkshire boy Sam Stern has been cooking since he was little and got published at 14!
Make time for your mental health with a free Weathering the Storm collection on the Headspace app for meditations, sleep and movement exercises.
Look after your physical and mental wellbeing with these interactive resources from Mind.
TED is a non-profit organisation, dedicated to sharing important
ideas on a variety of topics. TED brings together the world’s most
innovative people to deliver short, powerful talks on issues that
matter. Go to the TED Talks website here and search.
- Why not watch an uplifting film with some friends, Sign up for ‘Into Film.
- Ha ha have you heard of Laughter Yoga? Relieve stress, increase endorphins and boost your immune system.
- Join The Happy Mondays' Bez on his PT and fitness sessions with Get Buzzin' with Bez.
- Check out the Childline Calm Zone toolbox for help feeling calm.
- Broaden your horizons with the free Google Arts and Culture app. Explore online exhibitions and virtual tours from over 2000 cultural institutions.
- Theatres may be closed but you can stream an exciting selection of musicals and plays for free, from the comfort of your own home.
- NASA has lots of activities you can enjoy in their STEM @ Home area.
- More time at home? Why not get writing? There are loads of useful resources online, including inspiration from other writers. Don't just dream about it - get writing!
If you’ve always wanted to write for TV this is the place to start! As well as advice and examples of scripts, there are lots of interviews - including one with former Doctor Who showrunner, Russell T Davies.
- Take part in online activities that will help you to think about your future and prepare you for career success.
- Real stories to inspire your career. Explore subject areas and career paths with case studies, useful advice, top tips and videos.
- Plan for your future and discover how your skills, interests and personality can help decide your future direction.
- Access virtual tours and videos from universities and colleges, so you can see what it’s like on campus.
- This free online course will show you how to make the most of the time you’ll spend in higher education, with the ultimate aim of improving your prospects when you graduate.
- Explore the Open University’s catalogue of short courses, covering a wide range of areas, such as Sport, Psychology, Education, History, Languages, STEM, Politics and Law.
- Donate and support the Imran Khan Cancer Appeal.
- Exercise your body as well as your mind with free home workouts.
- Check out this selection of online exercise and wellbeing resources which provide free on demand content to keep you moving and allow you to take care of your mental health whilst at home.
- Keep motivated and access free workout videos, including HIIT, kettlebells, yoga and pilates.
- Practice your Driving Theory Test.
- Learn life-saving advice and skills with free online apps from St John’s Ambulance.
- Be inspired, explore your creativity and realise your ambitions with expert inline classes by Skillshare.
- Boost your communication skills and get an insight into a whole new world of language learning.
- English lessons for speakers of other languages students.